Archived webinar featured on April 4, 2019
The unprecedented number of refugees globally have dominated discourses in the migration space. People are being forcibly displaced at a high rate, and receiving communities need to be prepared to receive and work to integrate and include these newcomers. Refugees are a unique population of migrants, and traditional immigrant integration practices do not always translate to success in refugee integration. Community stakeholders need to consider thinking outside the box when it comes to refugee labour market integration.
Employment plays a pivotal role in the integration and inclusion of refugees to a new community. Yet, the newly arrived face myriad challenges when accessing the labour market, from language barriers and cultural differences to training needs and skills recognition. Employment agencies are typically at the forefront of helping refugees navigate these obstacles and access the employment opportunities that will support their integration and inclusion.
Watch this webinar to learn about innovative tools developed to ease refugee pathways to employment and support the invaluable work of employment counsellors and settlement workers.
In this webinar, you will learn about:
- Innovative tools that are helping employment agencies identity the most suitable positions for refugee candidates
- Partnerships with industry that are driving change in matching refugees to meaningful employment
- Nuances to competency and reframing how we assess to success
- Thinking Outside the Box- Webinar Slides (PDF)
- Competence Cards for professional and immigration counselling
- ALiGN Network: Overview and Video
- MySKills: Test your skills
- Dr. Martin Noack, Senior Expert, Program Learning for Life, Bertelsmann Stiftung
- Ian Hartlen, Project Manager, Magnet
- Moderator: Devon Franklin, Project Manager, Hire Immigrants
In collaboration with Cities of Migration, the Immigrant Futures project presents a 3-part webinar series to bring to life the recently released report, Investing in Refugee Talent: Lessons Learned in Labour Market Integration. Read the report, and tune in with questions for the industry leaders who can help you realize the benefit of integrating refugee talent into your workplace, and your community.