Governments are Canada’s largest employers. Yet, immigrants are only about half as likely to work in the public sector compared to the Canadian-born population. This is despite immigrants being a key factor in net labour force growth across Canada.
In this webinar find out more about the release of the new ALLIES report Government as Employer of Skilled Immigrants by Wayland Consulting which will examine practices and policies various levels of governments are using to encourage the employment of immigrants. The presentation will also explore what governments can do to prepare for, and respond to, demographic shifts in the labour force.
- Sarah Wayland, Owner, Wayland Consulting
- Lois Emburg, Manager, Diversity and Inclusion, City of Ottawa
- Peter Paul, Project Leader, ALLIES, Maytree
This webinar will:
- Explore the reasons why governments should be leaders in immigrant employment
- Understand the conditions that influence behaviour on hiring immigrants (e.g. legislation, unions, citizenship or language requirements, political will)
- Identify good immigrant employment practices and approaches currently used by governments
- Provide credible findings that can be used to stimulate discussion about government immigrant employment practices
Table of Contents